Business License Registration and Renewal in San Francisco: A Step-by-Step Guide
In San Francisco, all businesses operating within the city limits are generally required to obtain a business license. This includes businesses located in San Francisco, businesses located outside the city but conducting business activities within San Francisco, and businesses that have remote employees working in the city. This license must be renewed annually on May 31st.
To register for the first time
- Head to this link to start the process.
- You will need the following information:
- Business name: Provide the legal name of your business entity.
- Business address: The locations within SF
- Mailing address
- Ownership information
- Business structure: LLC, C Corp, etc.
- Nature of business
- Contact information
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Estimated San Francisco Gross Receipts
- Estimated San Francisco Payroll Expense
- Date your business started in San Francisco
- Taxable busines
- Submit the filing and pay the associated fee. The fee amount depends on size and type of business.
Want a walk through on how to register? Check out the video below.
To renew your license
To renew your business license, the process usually involves the following steps:
- Head to this link and use the below information to log in:
- Your seven (7) digit Business Account Number
- The last four (4) digits of your Tax Identification Number
- Your eight (8) character Online PIN mailed to you
*If you do not have your PIN, you may request it here. Processing can take 3-5 business days. You will be unable to renew online without your PIN.
- To complete the form and pay the associated fee, you will need to the following information:
- Your 2022 Taxable San Francisco Gross Receipts
- The business activities that describe your business
- Average number of employees working per week
- Review and provide payment details for the fee. The fee depends on the size and type of your business.
Want this handled for your business? Registration and renewal of the San Francisco business license is handled by AbstractOps!